Wednesday, September 06, 2006

2006-2007 School Year

This is my freshman/sophmore year, homeschooling(I've never known anything else!). Of my own volition, I took two years to complete the 8th grade, which I now regret. However, we are supposed to learn from our mistakes and move on; therefore, I am doing high school in 3 years.

My courses for this year include:

Algebra I , using Teaching Textbooks and loving it! I've been self taught for about the last 3 years and my parents didn't do higher math (they attended vocational high school and didn't finish college) so this works wonderful for me. Written for homeschoolers to teach to themselves, the curriculum is comprised of a textbook and CD-ROMs. The textbook explains the concepts to the student and supplies worksheets. Certain problems have corresponding practice problems which are easier problems within the same concept. It's a bit similar to Saxon in the fact that you learn a new concept each day. The Lecture and Practice CD-Roms explain the concept and work out the practice problems. We bought these but for me the textbook provides enough explanation. Have you ever gotten a problem wrong and just can't figure out why you got it wrong? This is why I love this program! Another set of CD-Roms works out every single problem on the screen! Also, if you haven't taken pe-algebra or flunked it, don't despair, this mixes a lot of review with real algebra. It's a bit pricy...$180...but it's a lot cheaper than a tutor. I took Math-U-See's Pre-Algebra last year but I wish I would have just gone into this. After about 6 weeks of working in this I'm nearly 1/3rd through it and hope to finish it by Christmas and do...

Algebra II (2nd semester)
Biology (Apologia)
US History and Modern World History (Veritas Press' Omnibus III)
American Literature (Omnibus)
British Literature, 17th through 20th century (Omnibus)
US Government
Composition and Literature Co-op class
Intro. to Business Co-op class
Rosetta Stone Spanish Level I
SAT Prep
Computer Science
I'm also: taking and teaching piano lessons
teaming up with another homeschooling family to begin an Ebay business
and participating in
4-H Shooting
and Teen Eagle

It's a full year but I'm looking forward to it! God bless you as you pursue your studies which will hopefully prepare you to do His work. Always remember to learn from your 'failures' and move on!
"Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." Phillipians 3:10-14 KJV

No comments: