Thursday, June 05, 2008

Biographies

“Since we all live in a world created by television, it is almost impossible to see what has happened to us. The only hope is to read what people were like in previous centuries. Biographies are a great antidote to cultural myopia and chronological snobbery. We have become almost incapable of handling any great truth reverently and deeply.”
-p.121, Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper

In preparation for a discussion group I am starting, I am currently reading two biographies of Jane Austen, one of my favorite authors. After reading the first chapter I realized that the author is extremely feminist compared to my worldview. This biography won’t simply provide me with some interesting facts about Jane Austen, but it will also give me a chance to pick a book apart through my worldview lens of Biblical womanhood. Other biographies have given me a new perspective to a historical time period, a different view on relationships, or a challenge to do more with my life. They almost always make me re-examine myself.

I love autobiographies, journals, and correspondence collections because they give you a glimpse into that person’s heart and vision. Ten Peas in a Pod by Arnold Pent III was a wonderful adventure into a large family’s escapades and ministry as they traveled cross country singing and witnessing. Love Letters from Cell 92: The Correspondence of Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Maria von Wedemeyer was a unique view into a theologian’s romance and personal struggles.

Here are some of my favorite biographies and autobiographies:

  • Joni by Joni Eareckson
  • Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Trapp
  • So Help Me God by Roy Moore
  • Love Letters from Cell 92: The Correspondence of Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Maria von Wedemeyer
  • Ten Peas in a Pod by Arnold Pent III
  • The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
  • Father ten Boom by Corrie ten Boom
  • God’s Smuggler by Brother Andrew
  • The Magic Never Ends: An Oral History of C.S. Lewis by John Ryan Duncan
  • Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington
  • William and Catherine: The Life and Legacy of the Booths: Founders of the Salvation Army by Trevor Yaxley
  • Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce by John Piper
  • Gregor Mendel: Planting the Seeds of Genetics by Simon Mawer

Read a biography or autobiography, then come back here and tell us about it.

No comments: