Thursday, June 05, 2008

Don’t Waste Your Life



I recently finished a book which quickly became a favorite: Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper. Let me share a few quotes that sum the book up better than I could:

“This is not a book about how to avoid a wounded life, but how to avoid a wasted life.”-p.10

“It was not always plain to me that pursuing God’s glory would be virtually the same as pursuing my joy. Now I see that millions of people waste their lives because they think these paths are two and not one.”-p.9

“…what must love do? It must rescue us from our addiction to self and bring us, changed, into the presence of God.”-p.36

“He [God] is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.”-p.36

“Boasting in the cross happens when you are on the cross.”-p.55

“If we only trust Christ to give us gifts and not Himself as the all-satisfying gift, then we do not trust Him in a way that honors Him as our treasure.”-p.70

“How much food and clothing are necessary? Necessary for what? We must ask. Necessary to be comfortable? No, Jesus did not promise comfort. Necessary to avoid shame? No, Jesus called us to bear shame for His name with joy. Necessary to stay alive? Persecution and plague consume the saints….God does not promise enough food for comfort or life-he promises enough so that you can trust him and do His will.”-p.94

“Why don’t people ask us about our hope [1 Peter 3: 15]? The answer is probably that we look as if we hope in the same things they do.”-p.109

“We are at war, whether the stocks are falling or climbing, whether the terrorist are hitting or hiding, whether we are healthy or sick.”-p.113

While discussing our society of technology and frivolity, Piper describes it as, “a multi-layered dream world of insignificance expanding into nothingness.”-p.125

“…our work is not the beautiful woman, but the necklace. The beautiful woman is the Gospel-‘the doctrine of God our Savior.’ [Titus 2:9-10] So one crucial meaning of our secular work is that the way we do it will increase or decrease the attractiveness of the Gospel we profess before unbelievers.”-p.143

"If my life was to have a single, all-satisfying, unifying passion, it would have to be God’s passion."-p.28

2 comments:

mommyofmany said...

Oh, thank you for sharing! I recently gave this book to someone I love dearly for his birthday. I'm always a little hesitant to give a book to someone if I haven't personally read it. The title, however, seemed more than worthy, and I'm pretty confident in what John Piper has to say... so I bought it! I do hope it's a blessing to the young man I shared it with. Guess I'll see when he writes a book report, eh?

Ana Smith said...

I believe this book would be a blessing to anyone. It's a blessing that's hurts though! lol