Friday, June 06, 2008

Emotional Purity

I’ve always struggled with emotional purity and flirting. This morning some Scriptures stood out to me:

“Who shall go up into the mountain of the Lord? Or who shall stand in His Holy Place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not lifted himself up to falsehood or to what is false, nor sworn deceitfully. He shall receive blessing from the Lord and righteousness from the God of his salvation. This is the generation [description] of those who seek Him…” Psalm 24: 3-6, Amplified Bible

Our society rejoices in a lie, a falsehood, that purity is not necessary: “Enjoy the opposite sex, fulfill your youthful desires, submit to low expectations.” I tend to pride myself in that I’ve never had a boyfriend, I’m saving my first kiss for my wedding, and that I plan to wait for the man God has planned for me. But, it is still so easy for me to succumb to world’s lies: that it’s still okay to think about guys a lot, and that it’s okay to emotionally give my heart away.

“Blessed (happy, enviably fortunate, and spiritually prosperous-possessing the happiness produced by the experience of God’s favor and especially conditioned by the revelation of His grace, regardless of their outward conditions) are the pure in heart, for they shall see God!”-Matthew 5:8, Amplified Bible

What else could a girl ask for? When I think about guys, what is it I’m wanting? Happiness, companionship, love, fulfillment, and security. Christ is all of that for me. Why do I look for it elsewhere? His grace supplies all I ever need. He is all I need.

“Why are you cast down, O my inner self? And why should you moan over me and be disquieted within me? Hope in God and wait expectantly for Him, for I shall yet praise Him, Who is the help of my countenance, and my God.”-Psalm 42:11, Amplified Bible

“If we only trust Christ to give us gifts and not Himself as the all-satisfying gift, then we do not trust Him in a way that honors Him as our treasure.”-p.70, Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper

If I don’t trust Christ now “as the all-satisfying gift” and as my “treasure,” then I will never be happy in any male/female relationship.

1 comment:

mommyofmany said...

Truly Christ is all we need.

In our humanness the challenge is to make Him all we *desire*.

May God grant your heart's desires as you seek Him with your whole heart.