Monday, October 20, 2008

Time: Part I


Dictionary.com lists 64 different aspects of the definition of time. But, it all boils down to an interval of history given to each and every one of us.


Each interval is unique. No two will be exactly the same length or be carried out under the same circumstances.


“Whereas ye know not what [shall be] on the morrow. For what [is] your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. (James 4:14)” However, each and every tiny sliver of eternity that we call our own is short, “far too short not to finally realize that it’s long enough to make a difference in someone’s life.” ("Legacy of Love" by David Phelps)


I constantly find myself fretting because I don’t feel like there are enough hours in a day. But, when I stop to examine the activities I graciously or stingily dealt my 24 hours out to, I realize the issue isn’t the allotment of hours God designated to a day, it’s my motives.


The 30 minutes I spent on Facebook could have been spent working on the Christmas present for my grandparent. The two to six hours I spent watching movies over the weekend could have been spent writing a letter to a friend I’ve neglected. Five minutes of day dreaming here and five minutes there add up to how long it would have taken me to do another day’s worth of a school subject so that I’m not so bogged down by the time the weekend comes.


There’s nothing wrong with me chatting a bit on Facebook, watching movies, and day dreaming here and there, but in the end it’s useless clutter. Where is my discipline? Why to I continually succumb to what bogs me down? O Lord, “Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, And revive me in Your way.” (Psalm 119:37)


I have a Savior to petition to for help. He will “turn away my eyes.” What’s more, He will revive me.
When He is my one and only focus, when I push aside all the things vying for my sliver of history, whether good or bad, my sliver of history will be full of vibrant choices and actions
.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Read:

Part II
Part III

1 comment:

Stephen Boyd said...

Wow! That's a great post, Ana!

I've found myself dealing with the same problem of idleness recently. I too can think of so many things that need to be done, I just don't have the willpower to do them! I'll think, "there's plenty of time for that later", but it's "a vapor".

Keep up the good work!