Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Vapor Verses Eternity: "Time" Part 2



Stephen left the following comment on my last post:

"Wow! That's a great post, Ana!

I've found myself dealing with the same problem of idleness recently. I too can think of so many things that need to be done, I just don't have the willpower to do them! I'll think, "there's plenty of time for that later", but it's "a vapor".

Keep up the good work!"

Stephen, thank you for the encouragement.

"Vapor." That word keeps going through my mind. Total depravity of man, the things of this world, time, it's all just a vapor.

We serve such a great God! He is above all that: He is holy, everything He does has purpose, and He is eternal. That blows my mind. We humans are so caught up with the daily issues of time and yet He created it. He's in control of it.

After we have messed up again, focusing on "worthless things" , He revives us again, once we turn back to Him. Bestowing undeserved grace, He revives a misuser of what He created.

Every time I fall and receive that precious gift once again, I see another glimpse of my awesome Creator. "That their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ." (Colossians 2:2) It's as if every time I open up a gift of grace He includes a tiny clue to the great mystery that God is.



"I made You promises a thousand times
I tried to hear from Heaven
But I talked the whole time
I think I made You too small
I never feared You at all No
If You touched my face would I know You?
Looked into my eyes could I behold You?

What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

I guess I thought that I had figured You out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be
The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees"

-"What Do I Know of Holy" by Addison Road

What do I know of holy? I speak of my Savior every day, but does He permeate every thought. I praise Him with fellow believers, and yet how do I act every day? If I was given the choice to die for a group of people that mocked me, that did not even welcome me in my own home, I would have turned from it immediately.

Oh, but, what glory there is in knowing that Christ did not. That He provided a way for me to one day not be consumed with what is "but vapor." One day I will be able to sing "Holy, Holy, Holy" around the throne of Him who created time.

I will no longer be of vapor. I will be the Eternal Lord's forever.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Read:

Part I
Part III

3 comments:

Stephen Boyd said...

Yet another fantastic post!

"What Do I Know of Holy"---Is that the name of a song?

"Press On",
Stephen

Ana Smith said...

Yes, that is the name of the song. A group called "Addison Road" wrote it. I can't really recommend the group since that's the only song I've heard of theirs. But, that one is great!

Emma said...

Great post Ana!
You are very intelligent.
I love your blog by the way!
Love Ya,
Emma