Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Folly of Comparison



The following post by Crystal Paine was convicting to say the least:

"...Our family has different challenges and priorities than this other family. And really, there's no way to compare our own two unique families or children.

Which is why playing "The Comparison Game" is neither healthy or wise. It only leads to guilt, frustration, and much time wasted. And yet, I think it's something a lot of us women struggle with. We look at other women who seem more accomplished, or more organized, or thinner, or prettier, or better at this or that, or even more Godly, and we start feeling like we don't stack up.

Now granted, there's nothing wrong with being inspired or motivated by others and I'm not advocating that we all seek after mediocrity, but there is great danger in measuring ourselves and our abilities against another. Especially if this causes us to feel discouraged or inadequate.

Our worth is not in how pretty we are, how self-disciplined we are, how well-trained or advanced our children are, how long we've been married, how many children we have, how well we can decorate, how little we spend at the grocery store, or whatever it is that we feel like we might not measure up to another.

All that truly matter is who I am in Christ. When I keep my eyes focused on this, I stop comparing myself to others and instead appreciating who God has made me to be. I stop worrying about what other people think and have confidence in Christ alone.

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

-Edward Mote

I don't want my hope, my joy, my fulfillment, or my identity to be based on anything or anyone but Christ and His finished work on the Cross. It is there that I find true joy, contentment, and freedom from guilt.

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)"

No comments: