Saturday, November 01, 2008

Stuck in the Middle

Brett and Alex Harris were recently interviewed for a PBS critique on young evangelicals and their views on politics. While I don't agree with their candidate endorsements, they were right on in their discussion of social justice.

But, what the other young people were saying, scares me. It angers me because the stance taken by them is not my stance, nor that of many of my friends. Just because I am a member of a "young" or "new" generation, doesn't change how I follow Christ. It doesn't change what Scripture says.

Johnathon Merritt
from the Southern Baptist Environment and Climate Initiative ends the news clip with this, "Younger evangelicals -- their number one priority is living a life that is consistent with the ministry and the teachings of Jesus Christ, and if that lands them in a more liberal party or a more conservative party, that matters not. You're not seeing the emergence of an evangelical left. You are seeing the emergence of the evangelical stuck in the middle."

"So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth."
-Revelation 3:16

Stuck in the middle? As a Christian you follow whichever candidate will uphold Scripture. Period. As a Christian, culture should not be allowed to dictate your beliefs, your values, where you stand on issues. Scripture addresses all of the roots of the issues. Scripture defines what the issues should be and how they should be handled. Not Western Culture, not the twenty-first century.

I proudly stand as a young evangelical who defines every area of life by the Word of the living Christ. Whether that means following my generation, or my great-great grandparent's generation. Which doesn't mean being stuck in the middle between culture and Scripture.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments: