Sunday, June 06, 2010

Power Struggles Part I B: "That All the Earth May Know That There Is a God in Israel"

*I split Part 1 up into 3 posts because it's SO long.*

Let's take a quick look at the reign of their first king, Saul, whom they wanted so badly. He starts a sacrifice without Samuel before a battle, keeps plunder for himself, spares the killing of a pagan king, and lies to the Lord's prophet.

"When you were little in your own eyes, were you not head of the tribes of Israel? And did not the Lord anoint you king over Israel?" 1 Samuel 15:17

Is it not enough to receive power from God and humbly serve Him for His glory?

"I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the Lord and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice." 1 Samuel 15:24

Now the people are ruling, Israel is now a democracy. Or, is it that Saul is using the democracy's voice for what his flesh wants, which then turns into tyranny?

No comments: