Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Creamy Dumpling Soup (February)

Saute in large pot:
2 small red onions, thinly sliced
1 T oil
1/4 tsp. salt

Remove onions from pot and add:
3 T flour
3 T Butter
1/4 tsp. salt
2 T dry Parsley
1 tsp. garlic powder
Whisk until smooth and slightly browned. (You're making a roux.  Just thought I'd let you feel like you're doing something fancy.  ;-)

Slowly stir in, keeping it smooth:
4 cups milk
2 cups water (broth or stock would be better)
It doesn't have to get very thick because this is soup, not sauce or gravy.  Also, starch from the corn and dumplings with thicken it more later.  Just keep it smooth and get it bubbling. 

Add:
onions back in 
2 cups frozen corn
1/4 tsp. salt (I like to layer the salt when I'm cooking, can ya tell?)
Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, stir up a batch of Bisquick dumplings according to the directions on the box (yes I know I cheated, but hey, it was in the house and I was tired from work!).

Stir in:
1 lb. cooked ground beef (I bet chicken would be really good too! Probably better, but it's what I had.)

Drop in the dumplings and simmer for 10 minutes uncovered.
Sprinkle on:
1/2 cup (or more, cheese is a good thing!) colby jack shredded cheese.
Cover, and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: